Saturday, July 24, 2010

6 Quotes From Sir Laurence Olivier

(1) I take a simple view of life: keep your eyes open and get on with it.

(2) Living is strife and torment, disappointment and love and sacrifice, golden sunsets and black storms. I said that some time ago, and today I do not think I would add one word.

(3) Surely we have always acted; it is an instinct inherent in all of us. Some of us are better at it than others, but we all do it.

(4) The office of drama is to exercise, possibly to exhaust, human emotions. The purpose of comedy is to tickle those emotions into an expression of light relief; of tragedy, to wound them and bring the relief of tears. Disgust and terror are the other points of the compass.

(5) We ape, we mimic, we mock. We act.

(6) When you're a young man, Macbeth is a character part. When you're older, it's a straight part.

1 comment:

  1. "Life is but a stage", and goddamnit I just fell into the orchestra pit and landed on my brass.

    ReplyDelete