Saturday, January 28, 2012

Jehovah's? Witness

The doorbell rings, and it's this young
Sounding girl's voice coming through
The security system speaker, asking
If I read the Bible, and also if I knew
Jesus, and would I be willing talk
About how to achieve eternal life,
"Eternity?, something like a long walk
With endless moments of pain or pleasure?"
I think as I pause, the girl still downstairs
Outside the door, promising a treasure
If only I open the door and listen and believe,
Then tithe time and money in equal measure
In hopes of her heaven to achieve...
The return on investment to quench a thirst
In the desert-pit of my soul, which lingers
Empty and dry -- "now that would be a first"
I think, as I ask the visitor to come on in,
But no answer, she's gone, I'm left in sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment